Monday, September 3, 2007




I always feel guilty when I visit modern art museums.

While others admire the Pollock's splatters or the Kandinsky's shapes, I ask myself, "People pay millions for these things?"

This sort of skpeticism is being examined in a new documentary, "My Kid Could Paint That."

The film follows a 4-year-old girl named Marla whose abstract paintings become the talk of the art world. Yet as they begin selling for up to 50,000 dollars, accusations regarding the true authorship of the work emerge.

And from what I've read, the director is never able to capture the girl actually painting.

Fishy.

Not only does this premise seem intriguing as it features over-zealous parents, weird art people and one, possibly, super talented girl, it also examines the age-old question about abstract art.

What's the big deal?

No comments: